I would love to be little miss Mary sunshine all the time and glow on about all the lovely river sailing we are doing and how wonderful our boat life is. That would be AWESOME. This, however, is REAL LIFE in all its messy glory. Read on…
We have gone out this summer. We had a delay in getting started due to an engine overheating issue that was hard to pinpoint the cause of. We thought it was a problem with the cooling system not drawing water so Dovid got some help from the web, YouTube, and locals to finally get that sorted. In the end, it looks like there is a fluid leak but we’ve yet to find the source so we can fix THAT issue.
The last time we went out unintentionally became our last sail of the summer. It was a high wind day and we were fine until we decided to motor back and the engine wouldn’t start.
It was a high wind day and we were fine until we decided to motor back and the engine wouldn’t start. Then when we decided to put the sails back up the sails were not cooperating. The main sail got hung up in the track halfway up and the head sail wouldn’t fully unfurl. While we tried to deal with all that we were quickly drifting towards a wall that we did not succeed in avoiding collision with.
We finally got off the wall and back to a safe distance by using what wind the half sails could take. The local water taxi was coming back from dropping crew at a freighter anchored nearby and they hailed us to ask our status. My quick “thumbs down” motion as I fought with the sheets gave them the cue to assist.
We got a tow to the nearest mooring basin (about 3 miles up river from our home mooring basin). There we assessed our situation and tried to figure out solutions and what to do in the event that we had to stay where we were overnight. We made calls to fellow boaters we knew to see who could help us either with a tow back home or to help fix the engine issue. I set out to get the shore power in case we had to stay.
I hadn’t gotten far when Dov let me know he figured out what we were doing wrong with the engine and we waited for our friend to motor over and follow us back just in case of any further mishaps.
We got back to the marina without anything else going wrong on the river and counted our blessings. With the high winds, things were a bit spotty on the incoming docking job. Dovid was leaning over the railing lines near a stanchion with the boat hook when it slipped and we hit the dock. Unfortunately, the bump was hard and he fell feet over head onto the dock with one foot caught in the line. A trip to the emergency room confirmed a sprained ankle and they gave him a boot to wear for two weeks. Sadly, his GP said the ankle would not fully heal for TWELVE WEEKS which put a damper on our summer sailing plans.
Thanks for reading,